Install macOS Sierra on Virtual Box for Windows 10 Users
Hello everyone, today I will be helping you out to install macOS Sierra on VirtualBox for Windows 10 users. No matter what you are doing, if you are not able to afford macOS products it’s better to take advantage of virtualization technologies. Then you are free to use macOS based operating systems
My Laptop Features
- Windows 10 Pro
- Intel Core i5–7200
- 20 GB RAM 2666 MHZ (4 GB built-in Samsung + 16 GB Crucial)
- NVIDIA GeForce 940 MX
Probably most of the tutors recommend you to install latest version of VirtualBox but unfortunately I am not going to recommend you this.
Currently latets version is 6.1.34 but I definitelly had a lot headache with this version therefore please make sure to install version 6.1.30 otherwise you need to spend an hours on StackOverFlow.
Please follow the link and install the following files.
Whenever you install those files you only need to open .exe files and follow the instructions.
NOTE : In the VirtualBox setup instructions there is no crucial steps therefore I am moving forward to next step. Just click next all the time :)
Installing macOS Sierra ISO File
ISO files are commonly used for in VirtualBox therefore we will be using throug our tutorial also ISO file. Please from the link download ISO file.
If you ever formatted any computer recently, you may remember that we don’t need to have anymore CD / DVD files to setup operating systems. ISO files do same in more fast and cheap way.
Installing Extension Pack on VirtualBox
The VirtualBox Extension Pack is a package that broadens the basic functionalities of VirtualBox.
- Open the VirtualBox GUI
- Click the Preferences icon:
3. On the left panel navigate to Extensions then on the right side click on the + icon to add new extension. Finally locate the extension pack from the computer you’ve installed already.
4. When you successfully completed steps, it should look as its below.
Installing macOS Sierra on VirtualBox
During my high school graduation presentation I remember a very nice quote from my teacher. Would you prefer to see a tail of cat or you would wish that to see all part of the cat ? My teacher said this because my slides was containing only bunch of texts instead with some nice images to make aware more people
I will be supporting my instructions with images to make you more aware and make it everything is smooth.
- Click on NEW button and give a name to your operation system and select from type Mac OS X and from version Sierra 10.12
2. Select memory (RAM) capacity of your VirtualBox. I would definitely recommend at least 8 GB but if you are not able to do this make it as high as possible.
3. Select the Hard Disk preferences 2nd option as it’s selected on the image.
4. Select the Hard Disk type VMDK as it’s selected on the image.
5. Select dynamically allocated option. Good thing about dynamically allocated option is they don’t restrict the size you selected for hosts. Let’s assume that you selected 100 GB but you never used so host system can take opportunity of 100 GB. As they said on the below, virtual OS only use space on your hard disk as it fills up not more :)
6. Select the file location on your host system and disk capacity of virtual operating system. If you only want to chill and explore the features of macOS 30 GB will be good enough but if you want to jump into development side, XCode will be mad at you for 30 GB, please increase as much as you can :)
7. After you’ve clicked Create button it wil be created on your system and will look like as it’s below.
Final touches before the START macOS Sierra
Please click on the Settings and follow the steps to get the best performance.
- Click the System on the leftpanel and make sure for the following things. Chipset is setted to ICH9 and Enable EFI is selected. From the Processor tab use the highest number of processors that you can.
2. Click the Display on the left panel and use highest Video Memory that you can.
3. Click the Storage on the left panel and click on empty text, after you’ve clicked from the right panel click on CD icon and navigate the ISO file you’ve downloaded already.
4. After your ISO file selection if the page looks like as it below you are free to click OK complete the steps.
5. Last but most important step is to enable virtualization process running following commands under C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\ folder. Please open cmd.exe as an administrator and run the following commands
NOTE: Please do not forget to replace name of your operating system with your_os_name part in the code for each of them.
Starting macOS Sierra
If you completed all the steps, you can click on the START button to start our system. You should see as it below for a while while VirtualBox prepare your setup.
Whenever the pre-loading is completed you will see Apple icon and you are ready to read instruction steps and click on the next button. I will not be explaning the following steps because it’s as I mentioned it will only clicking next steps and setting up the details as type of keyboard, time zone, name of computer, password and etc.
I hope you enjoyed on my blog